DIY Stamp & Postcard Design
This week I was excited to take advantage of the "up to 50% off semi-annual sale" on Vistaprint.com! While I do not get paid to advertise for them, I am always excited when such websites enable me to do cool graphic art tricks for free.
In this case, I wanted to turn a promotional photo into a rubber stamp. This is usually meant for basic logo images, and simply uploading the original black and white photo resulted in this proof:
While this does resemble the original image, I was confident I could make a better stamp with a little editing. I do almost all my work on an IPad Pro 9.7 with an Apple Pencil. I used Adobe Sketch to eliminate the background and outline the boundaries between overlapping spaces of white. Once I got started, I really had fun with the process and highlighted my hair, drew in the guitar strings with the Adobe Sketch ruler, and defined the details of my fingers.
Here is a quick 5 second time lapse video of the process:
On their website they allow you to design any of their products, using free templates and fonts. I simply screenshot the bits and pieces I want to use elsewhere. In this case, the initial "e" was slightly offset when I capitalized the "V".
I used Adobe Comp to enlarge the "e" and shift it closer to the other letters.
Vistaprint.com allows you to upload multiple images to one stamp. So all of my text was added one line at a time. This gave me more freedom to make small adjustments than doing so in Adobe first.
For finishing touches, I used music notes and a treble clef from Vistaprint's library... With a 40% discount, this purchase cost me only $14.99 (+tax and S&H). I foresee this purchase saving me quite a bit mmoney until I can afford stickers.
This was the final edited image before Vistaprint turned it into a two tone stamp:
Here are the original and final images side by side :
I had so much fun learning the process that I decided to repeat it with another photo!
First I used the photo editing app Pixlr to to highlight the shadow over my face. Then I used Adobe Sketch again to define and highlight. You can see I really invested some time with the pencil, outlining the columns. I really made an effort to emphasize the details of the guitar and clothing. The end result looks pretty messy, but none of that mattered when it was reduced to two tones!
I used the same original image to make my promotional postcards. I used two paid apps; Font Candy + to add the shining light radiating from my guitar head and WordSwag to generate the text and frame. The style featured here is called "Marmalade" with the color setting inverted.
The back side is a Vistaprint template with a heart emoji.
I hope you have enjoyed catching a glimpse of the hours I put into creating my promotional materials. As an independent artist, I am frugal and happy to demonstrate my creativity in every aspect of my work! Perhaps this post will inspire you to make your own stamp. I would love to see :)